John Paviour’s descendants – Part 2 of the article on John Paviour
John Paviour and his wife Emma had 11 children. This article follows the family of Harry James Paviour, John’s third son, who lived all his life in Bedford and is buried at Foster Hill Road Cemetery (FHR). Many members of his family are buried or were cremated at FHR. Harry and his wife Angelina had four living children, Olive, Gwendoline, Hereward and Gertrude, and they had five grandchildren, Audrey, Mary, Paul, Michael and Patricia.
HARRY JAMES PAVIOIUR 1870 -1955
Harry was born in Bedford and was educated at Ampthill Road School. He followed the family trade as a tailor, and the 1911 census records him as ‘Credit Draper’. He is listed in a number of Bedford trade directories as ‘tailor’.
In 1894 Harry married Angelina Dixon, also of Bedford. The marriage took place at the Bunyan Meeting Church. By the 1911 census Harry and Angelina were living on Gadsby Street with three daughters and a son.
Harry joined the Bunyan Meeting like many of his family in sympathy with the congregational tradition, first as a scholar, then as a teacher at the Sunday School and for many years as a preacher in the local area. He was responsible for introducing the Christian Endeavour Movement to the Bunyan Meeting and conducted the Band of Hope in Goldington for many years.
He was involved in public service to encourage adult education before the days of universal school education and was the President of the Bedford Adult School for many years. The Bedfordshire Times and Independent notes an occasion on January 1912 when he gave a lecture in the Cooperative Hall on Samuel Coleridge, and he also introduced the Bible Study: ‘The Passing of the Year’.
For 40 years he conducted ‘considerable business’ (Beds Times & Independent) in the Rushden, Wellingborough and Kettering districts and was President of the Bedfordshire and District Credit Traders’ Association.
His wife, Angelina, died in Bedford on 23 October 1939, aged 69. Harry died at his daughter Gwendoline’s house, 2a Devon Road in Bedford, on 19 October 1955, aged 84. His grandson Paul played the organ at his funeral.
Harry and Angelina share a gravestone which is now leaning badly forward. Ref Q263
Harry and Angelina left three daughters, Olive, Gwendoline and Gertrude, and a son, Hereward. Of their children Olive, Gwendoline and Hereward all had one child, and Gertrude had two children. The five cousins, Audrey, Mary, Paul. Patricia and Michael sustained a close relationship throughout their lives.
Olive Paviour 1900-1980
Olive was the eldest child of Harry and Angelina, born on 4 January 1900 in Bedford. She was Harry’s only child who left Bedford permanently in adult life. The 1901 census records her aged 15 months living on St Cuthbert’s Street with Angelina and her father, Harry James. By the 1911 census she was 11 and had been joined by two sisters and a brother. The family were living at 13 Gadsby Street.
The Bunyan Church Roll shows that on 31 July 1918 aged 18 she, like her father, joined the Bunyan Meeting. The family were then living at 16 Brereton Rd.
On 31 July 1924, aged 24, she married Matthew Frank Charman (31) a ‘Municipal Accountant’ with the London County Council. Matthew was living in Greenwich, and Olive had moved to Clapham at the time. They were married at Lewisham High Road Congregational Church, Greenwich.
Olive died in Forest Hill, London in 1980
Matthew Charman 1893-1952 (Harry’s son-in-law)
Matthew was born in Bedford on 15 January 1893, the son of a coachman. The 1901 and 1911 censuses note his family living at 81 Priory Street. In 1911 aged 18 he was recorded as a ‘Law Clerk’.
By 1919 he had moved to London and was living at 262 Tottenham Court Road. His marriage to Olive followed in 1924. In the 1939 Register Matthew (46) and Olive (39) were living at 146 Norbury Court Rd, Croydon. During WW2 Olive and daughter Audrey came to stay in Bedford as it was safer than the London area. Matthew stayed in Croydon.
On 30 August 1952 Matthew died in Mayday Hospital, Croydon.
Audrey Charman 1927-2022 (Olive and Matthew’s only child, Harry’s grandchild).
Audrey was born in July 1927 in Croydon. In 1934 she was a bridesmaid at her Aunt Gertrude (Paviour’s) wedding to Ernest Watson at the Bunyan Meeting Church.
In July 1950 Audrey married Leslie Albert Rutty in Croydon. Leslie was born on 28 July 1928 and was a doctor. Cousins Patricia and Mary, daughters of Gertrude and Gwendoline (Paviour) were bridesmaids at Audrey’s wedding.
Audrey and Leslie had three children, and lived in Forest Hill, London. Martin, the middle child, was killed in a helicopter accident on 9 December 2010. He was a champion pilot and, with Simon Lichtenstein, ran the helicopter company FLY Q based in Leominster, Herefordshire. The pair were returning from Italy when they crashed into woodland in southern France shortly after take-off. It appears they suffered a catastrophic mechanical failure.
Although living near London Audrey kept in close touch with her cousins in Bedford throughout her life.
On 12 February 1989 Leslie Rutty died aged 61, in Lewisham. He was cremated on 19 Feb.
Audrey died, in July 2022 aged 95, near Leeds where she had gone live to be near her daughter.
Gwendoline Paviour 1902-1980 (Gwen)
Gwendoline was the second of Harry and Angelina’s children. She lived in Bedford all her life and is buried at FHR.
She was born on 17th January 1902. In the 1911 census she was nine, living at 13 Gadsby St with siblings Olive (11) Hereward (five) Gertrude (one) In 1931 she was living at 16 Brereton Rd with father Harry, mother Angelina, and sister Gertrude before her marriage later that year.
In October 1931 she married Percy William Townsend in Bedford. They lived at 53 Elstow Road and on 17 December 1932 their daughter Mary Angela was born. They were still living at 53 Elstow Road in the 1939 Register, Gwendoline aged 37, Percy aged 41 and Mary aged six.
In 1954 Percy and Gwen attended the wedding of Gwen’s nephew Paul Paviour to Margaret Muncaster at Elstow Abbey.
For many years Gwendoline and Percy lived at 2a Devon Road and it was there that Gwen’s father Harry died. Gwen moved to a flat in Bushmead Avenue after death of her husband Percy in 1975, to be near her sister Gertrude and her husband Ernest, who lived at 52D Bushmead Avenue.
1980 On 5 August 1980 Gwendoline died at Flat 4 Bushmead Avenue, aged 78. She is buried at FHR where she shares a grave with her husband Percy. Grave ref: S 118
Percy William Townsend 1897-1975 (Harry’s son-in-law)
On 24 October 1897 Percy was born in Addisbury, Oxfordshire. He lived most of his younger life in Leominster, Herefordshire. In the 1901 census, aged three, he was living at the ‘Grocer’s shop’ in Monkland, part of Leominster, Herefordshire, with father William aged 31, recorded as ‘shopkeeper grocer’, mother Fanny aged 33, and sister Mary aged one. The family were still living near Leominster in the 1911 census.
After his marriage to Gwendoline Paviour in 1931 he lived in Bedford for the rest of his life, for many years at 53 Elstow Road, Kempston. He had trained as an Electrical Engineer and worked for Igranic Electrical Company in Bedford before later setting up on his own.
19 April 1938 (aged 40) he arrived in New York on SS Aquitania from Southampton for a stay of 4 weeks on business. The ship’s documents record him as ‘Electrical Engineer’, residence Kempston, Bedford, England.
After the war he set up his own business. On 22 September 1958 aged 60 he arrived back from another business trip to USA in Southampton, having sailed from New York on HMS Queen Mary. He is again recorded as ‘Electrical Engineer’ on the passenger list, address 2a Devon Road. On 29 March 1975 Percy died at his home in Devon Road. He is buried with Gwendoline at FHR. Grave Ref: S 118
Mary Angela Townsend 1932-2015 (IGwendoline and Percy’s only child, Harry’s grandchild).
Mary was born on 17 December 1932. In 1954 she was a bridesmaid at the wedding of her cousin, Paul Paviour to Margaret Muncaster in Elstow Abbey, along with her other cousin Patricia.
In July 1963 she married Alan Thomas Clifford in Bedford and they lived in Cheltenham. She died there on 28 June 2015 aged 88. Her husband had died in 2001
Hereward Paviour 1905-1969
Hereward was born on 11 September 1905, the third child and only son of Harry and Angelina. He was registered as Hereward by his father Harry on birth but was usually known as ‘Don’, as his mother Angelina preferred this name. In the 1911 census aged five he was living at 13 Gadsby Street with his father Harry (40) mother Angelina (40) and siblings Olive (11) Gwendoline (nine) and Gertrude (one) He was educated at Bedford Modern School from 1916-1920. His photograph was in the Bedfordshire Times and Independent, 18 April, 1919, as a member of B.M.S’s Archaeological Society which discovered altar-tomb statues in Millbrook Churchyard.
He was a keen rower and was the Honorary Secretary of Bedford Rowing club for some years and Captain in 1929. (Name misspelt on the board).
On 18 February 1927 he was presented with a Roll top desk in recognition of forming the Bedfordshire branch of the Credit Traders Association, of which he was Secretary. He worked as a tailor with his father Harry and took over half of Harry’s business on his retirement. Ernest Watson, Gertrude’s husband, took over the other half separately.
On 30 May 1929 he married Constance Victoria Violet Cameron at the Oratory of St Mary Magdalene, Wandsworth, London, as his wife, Constance, was a Catholic. His sister Olive’s husband was his Best Man.
Wedding photo: L-R Harry, Angelina (sitting) Olive Charman (nee Paviour) Matthew Charman, (Best Man) Hereward and Constance, Harry Ball (Constance’s Guardian &Trustee) Auntie Maud (nee Griggs) Uncle Charlie, Maud’s husband (Turner)
Beds Times & Independent 7 June 1929 reported the marriage:
‘It was a sunshine wedding and the bride looked radiant in an ensemble of rosy beige, her flowers being rose-tinted carnations. She was given away by Mr Harry Ball, her guardian and trustee and she was attended by one maid Miss Margery Turner. Mr Frank (Matthew) Charman, brother-in-law of the bridegroom, was the best man. A dance reception was held at the Stanley Rooms, Battersea. Constance, only daughter of the late W. A. Cameron chemist of Midland Road, was a member for many years of the choir of Bedford Roman Catholic church’.
(She sang at many of the same choirs as Hereward’s sister Gwendoline and probably met Hereward through that link)
After their marriage, in 1930, they were living at 1469/1467 Pershore Rd, King’s Norton, Birmingham (Electoral roll) with Hereward working as ‘Draper’. In April 1931 their son Paul was born in Birmingham.
By 1935 they had returned to Bedford, living at 86 Miller Rd Bedford, according to the Electoral Register.
In the 1939 Register they are noted still living at 86 Miller Rd with Hereward described as ‘Credit tailor, Draper and Outfitter’. They lived at that address for the rest of their lives. Hereward worked in the Meltis factory in later years.
In World War 2 he served in the navy with the rank of Petty Officer. He was in the Far East Fleet stationed at Trincomalee, Ceylon (now Sri Lanka). Damage to his ship resulted in putting into a Canadian port, where he served on HMS Seaborn in Halifax, Nova Scotia. He enjoyed his time in Canada where he reported they were well looked after.
On 24 June 1968 his wife Constance died. On 5 March 1969 Hereward died, at 2a Devon Road, the home of his sister Gwendoline who was looking after him. Hereward is buried with Constance at FHR. Grave Ref: T 1
His death was announced in the Beds Times and, in lieu of flowers, he asked for donations to Hinwick Hall near Wellingborough.
(Hinwick Hall is a grade 2 listed manor acquired by the Orlebar family, the owners of Hinwick House and Estate. It was bought as a home for ‘severely crippled boys’ by the Shaftesbury Society in November 1942 and opened in January 1943. The aim was to assist with the growing problem of disabled boys displaced from bombed hospitals during WW2 and Hinwick Hall provided a residential school for 40 physically handicapped boys aged 11-16. It closed as a residential school for young disabled adults in July 2014 and was sold in 2015. Today it is run as a wedding venue.)
The joint gravestone of Hereward and Constance
There is a bench on Bushmead Road Bedford dedicated to the memory of Hereward and Constance from his son Paul and wife Margaret and his sisters (Olive, Gwendoline and Gertrude)
Constance Cameron/Paviour 1900-1968
Constance had a difficult start to life, being orphaned at the age of four. She was born on 23 May 1900 to William Alexander Cameron and his wife Sarah in Bedford. Her parents had married on 9 April 1900 in Northampton. Her father was a well- known Chemist on Well Street, (now Midland Road) Bedford.
In the 1901 census she is recorded living at 8 Prebend St, aged 10 months, with her father William Alexander (53) a ‘Chemist and Druggist’, and mother Sarah (38). Also living with them were three ‘Griggs’- Florence (20) Constance’s cousin, Thomas (16) and Maud (15) half-brother and half-sister to Constance, all born in Bedford. The relationship is listed differently on the census.
In 1904 both her parents died; on 5 March her father William died and on 11 October her mother Sarah died. A Guardian and Trustee was appointed for Constance, Mr Harry Ball, a local auctioneer and estate agent, as she was now an orphan and her father had left a substantial legacy.
In the 1911 census she was living at 29 Grafton Rd aged 10 with Edward Griggs (33) cousin, his wife Mary Ann (35) their son Vincent (six months) and Mary Read (64) a widow.
In 1929 aged 30, she married Hereward Paviour at Oratory of St Mary Magdalene, Wandsworth, London.
After a short spell in the Birmingham area and a few years back in Bedford on Victoria Road she lived with Hereward for the rest of her life at 86 Miller Road, Bedford.
She died on 24 June 1968 and is buried with Hereward at FHR. They share a gravestone Grave Ref: T 1
Hereward and Constance with their eldest grandson in 1957
William A Cameron 1846-1904 (Constance’s father, Harry’s son-in-law)
William was born in 1846 in Carlisle. His father was a ‘Carpenter’ (1851 census) and ‘Joiner’ (1861 census). In the 1861 census William, aged 15 is recorded ‘Druggist’s Apprentice’, in Carlisle. He became a respected business man and councillor in Bedford. He had a chemists’ shop on Midland Road.
By the 1871 census aged 25 he was living in Bedford as ‘Chemist and Manager’ at 51 Well St ( Midland Road) with an apprentice Thomas Dexter Robinson aged 16. He was living at 47 Well Street in the1881 and 1891 censuses as ‘Chemist and Druggist’.
On 9 April 1900 he married Sarah Griggs (nee Blake) in Northampton. On 23 May their only child, Constance, was born in Bedford.
The 1901 census records him again ‘Chemist and Druggist’ aged 55 living at 8 Prebend St with wife Sarah aged 38, Florence Griggs (20) step-daughter, Thomas Griggs (16) step-son, an apprentice, Maud Griggs (15) step-daughter, Apprentice Confectioner, and Constance (10 months) daughter. The Griggs are recorded as ‘in-laws’ in the census rather than step children through his marriage to Sarah.
On 5 March 1904William died. Probate records him as ‘Retired Chemist’ who left a substantial sum of money. He was buried on 11 March at FHR. Grave Ref: D1 122. There is no gravestone.
Sarah Blake/Griggs/Cameron 1862-1904 (Constance’s mother)
Sarah’s father, James Blake, (Constance’s grandfather) and Sarah’s mother, (Constance’s grandmother) Sarah Nobbs, were married on 27 April 1847.
In 1857 their daughter Mary Ann was born in Wisbech. In 1862 on 22 October a second daughter, Sarah (Constance’s mother) was born in Huntingdon. Sarah is listed on the 1871 census, aged 19, as ‘Needlewoman’.
In 1877 in Bedford, Mary Ann married Thomas Griggs who was born in Middlesex. In the 1881 census Thomas (25) ‘Beerhouse and Lodging House Keeper’ and Mary Ann (22) were living at The Boot Inn, 22 Midland Rd, Bedford with Edward (three) son, plus many lodgers. Baby Florence, their daughter, had been born in 1880 but is not mentioned at this address.
In the same census James and Sarah Blake, Mary Ann’s parents, were also keeping an inn and lodging house in Bedford at 18-20 All Hallows Lane. Their second daughter Sarah was living with them, aged 19.
In 1882 Mary Ann died aged only 25. She left two young children, Edward and Florence. She is buried at FHR. Grave ref: C 5 104
On 3 October 1883 Sarah married her brother-in-law Thomas Griggs in Northampton and cared for Edward and Florence, her nephew and niece. They had two further children: Thomas Henry born in 1884 and Maud Elizabeth born in 1885.
On 18 May 1888 Thomas Griggs died tragically in an accident when he was thrown from his trap on Dame Alice Street. ‘The wheel of the trap passed over his chest and he was severely injured and rendered unconscious’. (Beds Times and Independent, 19 May 1888) He died a few days later from internal injuries His address was given as the Boot Inn, Bedford.
He is buried at FHR with a shared gravestone with his 1st wife Mary although she is buried at C5 104 with her own gravestone. Grave Ref: B6 149
Sarah was left a widow with four young children, two of her sister’s and two of her own. She continued to run the ‘Boot Inn’. In the 1891 census aged 28 she was living at The Boot Inn, listed as ‘Publican and Boarding House Keeper’ with Edward (13) her sister’s son, Thomas Henry (6) son, Mary (Maud) (5) daughter, plus several lodgers.
1901 census Sarah, now Sarah Cameron, (38) was living at 8 Prebend Street married to William Cameron (April 1900) aged 55, ‘Chemist and Druggist’, Florence Griggs, her sister’s child, (20) Thomas Griggs (16) and Maud Griggs (15) her children when married to Thomas Griggs senior, and baby Constance Cameron (10 months)
1904 On 11 October Sarah died aged 41. She is buried at FHR. Grave Ref: B6 142 There is no gravestone.
James Blake 1823-1893 (Constance’s grandfather)
James was born in Ireland. In 1847 he married Sarah Nobbs who had been born in 1828 in Wisbech, now Cambridgeshire. In the 1891 census aged 68 he was ‘Lodging House Keeper’ at ‘The White Hart’ All Hallows Lane, with wife Sarah aged 63, Florence Griggs, granddaughter aged nine and many lodgers.
On 20 August 1893 James died. Probate: ‘Beerhouse Keeper, The White Hart, All Hallows Lane.’ He is buried at FHR. There is no gravestone, and a mystery over the grave. The burial reference names ‘Blake’ but the burial plan names ‘Bullock’, a baby. The grave is among other members of James Blake’s family and so it seems likely he is buried there. Grave Ref: B6 150
Sarah Blake 1828- 1896 (nee Nobbs) (Constance’s grandmother)
On 31 May 1896 Sarah Blake, James’s wife, died aged 68. Probate: ‘widow of innkeeper’ She is buried at FHR. There is no gravestone. Grave Ref: B6 143
Francis Blake 1865-1895
Francis was known by the names Francis and Frank. He was the brother of Sarah, Constance’s mother, and therefore Constance’s uncle. He was born in Huntingdon where the family were living at the time. He was a young child in the 1871 census when his father, James, was recorded as a ‘General Dealer’ apparently running an establishment with several lodgers. In 1881 Francis was living with his parents at their Beerhouse on All Hallows Lane, listed as ‘Shoemaker’. In 1891 he was living with his sister, Sarah, now Sarah Griggs, at the Boot Inn which she was running after the death of her husband Thomas Griggs. He is recorded as ‘Riveter’.
Francis died in December 1895, aged 30, and was buried at FHR on 16 December. There is no gravestone.
Grave Ref: B6 157
Paul Paviour born 1931. Aged 92 on 14 April 2023. (Hereward and Constance’s son, Harry’s grandson).
Paul is an eminent musician based in Goulburn, Australia where he still lives.
He was born in the Birmingham area in 1931 before his parents, Hereward and Constance, moved back to Bedford. He was educated at Bedford Modern School (1940-48) and showed an early talent for music taking up the organ and composing organ music and orchestral works.
After National Service he was awarded a County Bursary to the Royal College of Music which was part of the University of London. There he worked with Adrian Boult whose links with Bedford had been forged as Conductor of the BBC Symphony Orchestra which was evacuated to the town during WW2. He was advised on compositions by Ralph Vaughan Williams who remained a good friend until his death in 1958. He was very proud to receive his degree in the Royal Albert Hall from the late Queen Mother who was the Chancellor of London University. He was awarded the Harding Prize by the Royal College of Organists and later became a Fellow of the Royal College of Organists.
On 19 June 1954 Paul married Janet Margaret Muncaster in Elstow Abbey, Bedford. Known as Margaret, she had been born in Wimbledon, London on 14 February 1930 to William and Janet Muncaster.
Paul’s aunt Gertrude Watson and friend Gertrude Armstrong at Paul and Margaret’s wedding.
Paul and Margaret lived in Bedford initially on Ampthill Road, then Shakespeare Road and latterly at 23 Irwin Road, before they moved to Wakefield with Margaret’s widowed father William Muncaster. They had three children, all boys.
After study Paul took up various positions as Organist and Director of Music in churches and cathedrals, living in Wakefield, Yorkshire in the late 60s. He also played the organ at family occasions including his grandfather’s funeral and cousins’ weddings.
Opportunities for employment were limited in the UK at this time. Paul had already discussed with his father the idea of moving abroad. In June 1968 his mother Constance died and in March and May 1969 his father Hereward and father-in-law William Muncaster died. His mother-in-law Janet Muncaster had died in Bedford in 1962 and had been cremated at FHR on 6 January. The cremation records note that her ashes were ‘Strewn in the Garden of Remembrance’.
With neither his, nor his wife’s parents still alive, Paul accepted an unexpected offer of the post of Director of Music at All Saints College, Bathurst, New South Wales, Australia. He was also the organist in the cathedral there. The family left for Australia in January 1970. Paul is still remembered in the annual Music Festival in Bedford with the award of the ‘Paul Paviour Cup’ for one of the piano classes.
After 5 years in Bathurst Paul moved to Goulburn, New South Wales, as lecturer in creative composition, and he eventually became Director of Goulburn Regional Conservatorium. The Concert Hall there is named after him. Over 60 years he has composed for all genres but in particular for the Anglican Church.
He returns to Bedford to visit his cousins and families quite regularly. Bedford Modern’s magazine ‘The Eagle’ notes his attendance at an Old Bedfordian dinner in 1977 and gives an impressive list of his published compositions at that stage. These included several orchestral, choral and vocal works, items of chamber music, and keyboard pieces.
His musical career in Australia has been very successful with many highlights including:
-Director of Music for the visit of the Duke of Edinburgh in 1974
-Composition for mixed choir and alto saxophone performed by the Goulburn Consort of Voices for Pope John Paul II in the Vatican in 1982, directed by Paul
-Director of Music for the opening of the Federal Houses of Parliament by Queen Elizabeth II in 1988
He has been the recipient of many honours in Australia including:
-Fellow of the Australian Society of Musicology and Composition
-Medal of the Order of Australia for his contribution to music
-Named Director of Music Emeritus of Canberra-Goulburn diocese
Paul is still living in Goulburn at the time of writing, (2023) with his sons and their families not far away. His 90th birthday and achievements were noted in an article in the Goulburn Post in 2021. His wife Margaret died on 5 October 2017 and is buried in Goulburn.
Gertrude Lucy Paviour 1910-1996
Gertrude was Harry and Angelina’s youngest child, the 3rd daughter and 4th child. She was born in Bedford on 27 January 1910. In the 1911 census she was living with her parents and siblings, Olive (11) Gwendoline (9) and Hereward (5) at 13 Gadsby Street. Like many in her family she joined the Bunyan Meeting and is noted on the roll, aged 16, living at 16 Brereton Road, her parents’ home. The Electoral Register of 1932 records her at the same address with Harry and Angelina.
In June 1934 she married Ernest Swinburne Watson at the Bunyan Meeting Church. Audrey Charman, her niece and daughter of her sister Olive was her bridesmaid.
The following year, on 17 January,1935, her daughter Patricia was born. In the 1939 Register the family were living at 35 Foster Road, Kempston. Ernest is recorded as ‘Master Tailor, Outfitter’, with wartime duties of ARP Emergency hospital staff, Foster Road post. Patricia is noted as ‘under school age’. In 1941 Her son Michael was born.
Ernest Swinburne Watson 1911-1989 (Harry’s son-in-law)
Ernest was born in Thornaby-on-Tees, Yorkshire, on 11 January 1911. The 1911 census records him as ‘under 2 months’, living at Crakehall Terrace, Thornaby with his father Harry aged 35, ‘Handicraft teacher, Elementary School’, mother Jane Ann (35 ) and Harry’s mother-in-law Sarah Agnes (68) ‘widow.’
By 1932 Ernest was living in Bedford at 15 Woburn Road, according to the Electoral roll, prior to his marriage to Gertrude Paviour in 1934. Following his marriage Gertrude and Ernest lived in Kempston.
Ernest was noted as a Master Tailor in the 1939 Register. His business was mainly in the Northampton area as a ‘Credit Draper’. This was a system whereby the tailor would supply goods on credit and would collect weekly payments until the loan was repaid. In Northampton this was a great help to many, for example those involved in the leather factories, where wages would not enable workers to buy clothing such as a jacket or trousers outright. They would aim to keep up their payments and when complete probably take on a new purchase on credit.
Ernest is mentioned in the Supplement to the London Gazette of 1 December 1942 in the list of cadets having gained the rank of 2nd Lieutenant from 31 October 1942. He served in the Royal Army Service Corps. He was involved in the preparations for D Day, working in Southend- on-Sea, waterproofing vehicles in readiness for the D Day crossing to Normandy. He went over to Normandy on D Day + 2, 8th June 1944. From there he made his way to Paris and then to Belgium, where he met up with the Belgian Resistance. He was highly regarded and in appreciation was given some paintings done by the Belgian Resistance. He was mentioned in Despatches in the London Gazette on 8 November 1945 and had risen to the rank of ‘Temporary Major’.
After WW2 Ernest and Gertrude moved to Waterloo Road where they lived for many years until they moved to a flat on Bushmead Avenue. Ernest died in Papworth Hospital, Cambridgeshire on 10 March 1989. He was cremated on 17 March at FHR and his remains were buried in the Garden of Remembrance. Gertrude died aged 86 on 8 February 1996 in Bedford. She was cremated at the Norse Road Crematorium on 16 February and her ashes were scattered in the Winter Garden of Remembrance.
Patricia Stevens born 1935. Aged 88 in January 2023 (Gertrude and Ernest’s elder child, Harry’s grandchild)
Patricia Stevens and Paul Paviour at the time of writing, are the two living grandchildren of Harry James Paviour. Born in 1935 Patricia has lived in Bedford all her life. In 1961 she married Brian Stevens at the Bunyan Meeting Church and they have two daughters and a son.
Brian was a company representative for a wholesale tobacconist. Patricia and Brian are still living in Bedford close to their 2 daughters, who like their parents and many in their family were married at the Bunyan Meeting Church.
Michael Watson 1941-2012 (Gertrude and Ernest’s younger child, Harry’s grandchild)
Michael took over his father’s drapery business when Ernest retired. In 1966 he married Doreen Welbourn, also from Bedford. He died in January 2012 and the family have dedicated a bench on Bushmead Avenue to his memory.
The five cousins, Harry James’s grandchildren who remained close throughout their lives, are photographed below.
Audrey (Rutter) Paul Paviour, Mary (Clifford) Michael (Watson) Patricia (Stevens)
-Bedfordshire Times and Independent:
-19 May 1888
-18 April 1919
– 7 June 1929
-London Gazette 1 December 1942 and 8 November 1945
-Bedford Modern School Magazine ‘The Eagle’ 1976-77
-Yorkshire Post 10 December 2010
-Passenger Lists outgoing and incoming UK and Ireland 19 April 1938 and 22 September 1958
-Forces Records WW2
-‘A Wren in Nova Scotia’ 1944
-Electoral Registers, Bedfordshire and Surrey
-Non-Conformist Marriage Registers London 1694-1931
-National Probate records
-Burial Registers FHR and Norse Road
-Information and photographs from Paviour descendants
October 01, 2023
September 02, 2023
August 21, 2023